Europe and the EU
Reflecting on Europe’s Future
The State of the Union 2018 Conference is organised in cooperation with the European Parliament and the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You are invited to join the public closing session with keynote speech by Klaus Welle, Secretary-General of the European Parliament, Monika Sie Dhian Ho (general director the Clingendael Institute) and Thijs van der Plas (DG European Cooperation Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
This session will take place from 15.30 till 17.00 pm. If you wish to attend, please register.
2017 was the year of reflection papers, speeches and elections. Recent initiatives by key European politicians and officials underline that the EU needs to change. The EU must find answers to the challenges that became apparent during the eurocrisis and to the threats that result from changes in the EU’s geopolitical environment. The conference brings together EU and national officials, opinion leaders and EU experts to reflect on the future of the European Union, focussing on six topics:
- The Future of European Defence Cooperation
- Managing Globalisation: EU Trade Policy in the Trump era
- Social Europe in the context of deepening European Integration
- The European Monetary Fund: Financial Risks and Political Consequences
- Migration: From Crisis to Strategy?
- The State of the Union: Prospects for 2018
--> Twitter hashtag: #SotEU2018