Communication Intern ICCT
The International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT) is an independent think and do tank providing multidisciplinary policy advice and practical, solution-oriented implementation support on prevention and the rule of law, two vital pillars of effective counter-terrorism.
The focus of ICCT’s work is on themes at the intersection of countering violent extremism and terrorism and criminal justice sector responses, as well as human rights related aspects of counter-terrorism. The centre connects experts, policymakers, civil society actors and practitioners from different fields by providing a platform for productive collaboration, practical analysis, and exchange of experiences and expertise, with the ultimate aim of identifying innovative and comprehensive approaches to preventing and countering terrorism.
ICCT is a growing organisation, operating in a high-paced, complex and politically sensitive environment. The centre is supported by a unique partnership comprising three renowned institutions based in The Hague: the T.M.C. Asser Instituut, the Netherlands Institute of International Relations “Clingendael” and Leiden University’s Institute of Security and Global Affairs (formerly the Centre for Terrorism and Counterterrorism).
ICCT is looking for an intern:
36 hours per week (fulltime)
Start date: 15 October 2020
Duration: until 31 December 2020
Working hours: Full time (36 hours per week)
Location: The Hague, the Netherlands (Due to Covid-19, the internship is partly remote)
Allowance: The successful applicant will receive a stipend of 450 Euros per month.
ICCT is seeking an intern to support our communication activities. He or she will be primarily responsible for providing assistance to ICCT’s team in outreach, online communication and brand awareness. Other duties may include supporting ICCT in its day-to-day functioning. This concerns communication, logistical and secretarial tasks as well as project support.
This multitude of responsibilities will require the intern to be highly organised and independent with the ability to communicate effectively. The successful applicant will be working in a dynamic think tank in the field of terrorism at the intersection of security, politics and development.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support ICCT in the execution of the organization’s communication strategy;
- Assist in managing ICCT’s social media accounts, drafting the ICCT newsletter, texts for ICCT’s website and expanding the online presence of ICCT;
- Contributing to the maintenance of the ICCT website;
- Research social media platforms and websites, present analytics and implement the latest social trends;
- Support and build on a network of press, influencers and online ambassadors;
- Contributing to internal and outgoing correspondence, liaising with and welcoming external partners such as national and international academics, policymakers, (foreign) dignitaries and practitioners;
- Providing secretarial and logistical support to ICCT’s core team, including the management and fellows;
- Assisting in the organisation of public events and closed expert meetings;
- Providing project related logistical and administrative support, such as sending out invitations, registration of participants and arranging travel and accommodation;
- Other duties as required.
- Enrolled as a marketing or communication student (minimal 3rd year) student in a university or university of applied sciences (Dutch: HBO) throughout the entire duration of the internship.
- Eligible to work in the Netherlands - EER/Switzerland nationality OR holder of a Dutch study visa - for more information, please see studyinholland.com
- Excellent and creative communication skills;
- Proven organisational skills; ability to manage and prioritise various tasks;
- Excellent (native or near-native) command of English. Dutch and/or French and/or Arabic is considered an advantage;
- Knowledge of and an interest in the field of counter-terrorism or countering violent extremism are an advantage;
- Excellent computer skills, including a good command of the Microsoft Office Suite and WordPress; good command of graphic design software (e.g. InDesign or Adobe Illustrator) is an advantage;
- Ability to work autonomously on given tasks and projects;
- Preferably administrative experience;
- Hands-on and independent;
- Comfortable working in an environment with people of different cultural backgrounds.
Interested candidates matching the aforementioned criteria and eligible to live and work in the Netherlands are requested to submit the following documents in English via e-mail only to ICCT, att. Antoinette van den Berg (email@example.com) before Friday 18 September 2020. The duration of the internship will be from 15 October until 31 December 2020.
- A curriculum vitae;
- A motivation letter outlining your suitability for the position.
Please use “ICCT Internship Autumn 2020” as the subject of your e-mail. Due to Covid-19, the internship is partly remote.