Research Fellow - EU & Global Affairs Unit
The Netherlands Institute of International Relations 'Clingendael' is a leading think tank and academy on international affairs. Through our analyses, training and public debate we aim to inspire and equip governments, businesses, and civil society in order to contribute to a secure, sustainable and just world.
The Institute has three departments: Research, Academy and Corporate Staff. The Research Department is looking for a:
for 24 to 36 hours per week for 1 year with possibility for extension
Purpose of the position
The Clingendael Institute is looking for a talented, highly motivated Research Fellow to carry out research activities in the field of European politics, covering both the internal EU dynamics (institutional balance, future of EU, widening/deepening debate, coalitions in the EU) and external positioning (e.g. enlargement, global gateway). The Research Fellow position falls in the EU & Global Affairs Unit, which consists of about 15 (senior, medior and junior) research fellows and several Associate Fellows and interns.
- Research and project-management of research projects relating to European politics and policy.
- Acquisition of new projects with new partners of Clingendael (e.g. foundations, line Ministries, private sector, participation in consortia applying for Horizon Europe research projects).
- Publishing in English and Dutch relevant papers, reports, policy brief and op-eds required as part of the research projects.
- Coordinating expert meetings and other (online) events, in particular contributing to content-preparation and practical organisation, i.e. identifying and inviting relevant speakers, participants, etc.
- Day-to-day project development and coordination, including financial project management, dissemination of publications to relevant audiences, and network maintenance.
- Initial contacts with press in fields of expertise.
- MA (political science, international relations, EU studies, etc). Familiarity with EU institutions is an advantage.
- Proven research and writing skills; having obtained a PhD-degree is considered an advantage.
- Project-management and presentation skills
- Service minded (towards clients and colleagues)
- Excellent knowledge of English and Dutch. Ability to work in French is considered an asset.
- Team player, but also capable of working independently on the basis of instructions.
- Flexibility, capable of working under pressure and reaching deadlines.
- Experience in Brussels or other international working environments is a plus.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Location: The Hague, the Netherlands. The Clingendael Institute is located in a beautiful environment
- This is a position for 24 to 36 hours per week for a period of 1 year with possibility for extension
- Salary in line with requirements for this position (CAO Rijk salary scale 10 or 11) based on relevant work experience.
- Start: 1 April or 1 May 2023
Further information about the position can be obtained via e-mail from dr. Louise van Schaik, Head of the Unit EU & Global Affairs ([email protected]). Further information about the procedure can be obtained from Thera Kosian, HR Advisor ([email protected]).
You can apply via the ‘Apply-now button at the top of this vacancy. Deadline for response is 10 February 2023. Selection will take place in the week of 20 February.