This event is co-organised by the Singapore Institute of International Affairs (SIIA) and Clingendael - Netherlands Institute of International Relations with the support of the EU Delegation to Singapore.
Building on the success of the first EU-Singapore think tank dialogue in January 2019 on security cooperation, the second in a series of four high-level think tank dialogues focussed on identifying concrete actions to deepen EU-Singapore cooperation in the realm of connectivity – specifically in the areas relating to physical, digital and people to people connectivity.
Co-organised by the Singapore Institute of International Affairs (SIIA) and the Netherlands Institute of International Relations, Clingendael, with the support of the EU Delegation to Singapore, the conference comprised two keynote speeches and three panels. Covering topics such as multilateralising infrastructure, digital connectivity (Clingendael's expert Maaike Okano-Heijman joining the second panel) and people-to-people connectivity, the conference aims to provide think tanks, policy makers and academics with a platform for open dialogue as well as identify opportunities to enrich the EU-Singapore collaboration and offer key insights of best practices from past successes and promote mutual learning.
The outcomes of this event are presented in the 'open letter' between the Signapore Institute of International relations and the Clingendael Institute. You can read the main takeaways here.
- Dr. Janil Puthucheary, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Transport & Ministry of Communications and Information of Singapore,
- Mr. Juhan Lepassaar, Head of Cabinet of Vice President of the European Commission Andrus Ansip
8.30 am: Registration starts & guests to be seated
9.00 am: Welcome Remarks H.E. Barbara Plinkert, Ambassador of the European Union to Singapore
9.10 am: Keynote Speech Dr. Janil Puthucheary - Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Transport & Ministry of Communications and Information, Singapore
9.30 am: Opening Statement Ms. Zsuzsanna Felkai-Janssen, DG Coordinator for Artificial Intelligence, DG Home Affairs and Migration, European Commission, EU
9.45 am: Panel 1: Multilateralising Infrastructure
Ms. Chen Chen Lee, Director of Policy Programmes (ASEAN & Sustainability)
- Ms. Justyna Szczudlik - Analyst, International Economic Relations and Global Issues Programme, Polish Institute of International Affairs
- Mr. Plamen Tonchev - Head of Asia Unit, Institute of International Economic Relations, Athens, Greece
- Mr. Mark Rathbone - Partner and Lead for Asia Pacific Capital Projects and Infrastructure, PwC
- Mr. Jasper Wong, Head of Construction & Infrastructure, Sector Solutions Group, UOB
11.15 am: Coffee Break
11.45 am: Panel 2: Deepening Ties Through Digital Connectivity
Mr. Christian Echle, Director Political Dialogue Asia, Konrad Adenauer Foundation
- Ms. Maaike Okano-Heijmans - Senior Research Fellow, Clingendael Institute
- Ms. Clarisse Girot - Senior Research Fellow, Asian Business Law Institute
- Ms. Marian Panganiban - Regional Public Policy and Government Relations, Grab
- Mr. David Alfred - Chief Counsel, Personal Data Protection Commission
1.15 pm: Lunch
2.15pm: Panel 3: People-to-People Connectivity – An Unbreakable Bond
Mr. Han-Song Hiltmann, Director, Goethe Institute, Singapore
- Ambassador Karsten Warnecke - Executive Director, Asia-Europe Foundation, Singapore
- Ian Robinson - SHARE Programme Director for British Council , ASEAN Secretariat, Jakarta
- Ms. Yvonne Tham - CEO, Esplanade
3.45 pm: Concluding Remarks Chen Chen Lee, Director of Policy Programmes (ASEAN & Sustainability) and Ms. Maaike Okano-Heijmans, Senior Research Fellow, Clingendael Institute
4.05 pm: End
For any queries, please contact Magdalene Choo at Magdalene.CHOO[email protected]