Europe in the World
The webinar is co-organised with the Institute of South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore and the European Union.
Opportunities for the European Union
As the European Union (EU) embarks on its own distinctive strategic outlook to the Indo-Pacific region, it should contribute to open, safe and inclusive digital connectivity and engage with the region’s thriving digital economies. While Indo-Pacific countries have called for greater maritime presence by European countries in their increasingly contested waters, European actors may have more to offer in the less-discussed but equally contested high-tech and digital domains.
Watch the livestream below. Download the scoping paper.
The webinar will be moderated by Asad Beg, Advisor to Special Envoy for Connectivity, European External Action Service.
Welcome & Scene-setting (09:30 CET)
- George Cunningham, Strategic Adviser, Asia and Pacific Department, European External Action Service | The EU Indo-Pacific Approach
- Thibaut Kleiner, Director for Policy, Strategy and Outreach, DG Connect | The EU 2030 Digital Compass
EU digital connectivity in the Indo-Pacific: the Opportunities (09:50 CET)
- Maaike Okano-Heijmans, Senior Research Fellow, the Clingendael Institute, The Hague
- Karthik Nachiappan, Research Fellow, Institute for South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore
Q&A and discussion (10:20 CET)
Closing Remarks (10:50 CET)
- Romana Vlahutin, Ambassador at large/EEAS Special Envoy for Connectivity
Watch our short video explainer on the geopolitics of the Indo-Pacific region with Maaike Okano-Heijmans.
The webinar is organised with the financial support of the European Union through the Partnership Instrument.