Europe and the EU
Co-organised with the European Fund for the Balkans (EFB), Balkans in Europe Policy Advisory Group (BiEPAG) and d|part. The event at Huys Clingendael is full. Please join via the livestream and reserve a spot on the waiting list.
The Netherlands, and specifically Dutch citizens, are often seen as fundamentally sceptical about EU enlargement. But how deeply rooted is scepticism on EU enlargement in the Dutch population? How do public attitudes towards enlargement relate to broader perceptions of the European Union? And does it matter if people have seen the latest season of the popular gameshow ‘Wie is de mol’, which was recorded in Albania?
To answer these questions and more, on 25 November, the report “Strict, fair and more open towards EU enlargement! Dutch Public Opinion on EU Membership of the Western Balkans” as prepared by the European Fund for the Balkans (EFB), Balkans in Europe Policy Advisory Group (BiEPAG) and d|part will be launched. The study, conducted early summer in the Netherlands through a public opinion survey (N=1500, May-June), in-person focus groups (in Rotterdam, June), and interviews with policy and decision makers (August-October) offers a detailed insight into Dutch public attitudes on EU enlargement.
The first session will present the main results of the report with a first response. After a lunch break we will dive into the results and discuss the meaning of the findings for the Netherlands and EU enlargement as such.
Please join us live or online for this exciting event!
10:30 – 11:00: Walk-in
11:00 – 11:45: Presentation report: Strict, fair and more open towards EU enlargement! Dutch Public Opinion on EU Membership of the Western Balkans
- Short word of welcome by Louise van Schaik, the Clingendael Institute
- Presentation of results by Tobias Spöri, d|part
- First response from Thijs Reuten, Member of European Parliament, PvdA (S&D)
11:45 – 12:45: Lunch break
12:45 – 14.00: Panel discussion and Q&A
- Srđan Cvijić, Balkans in Europe Policy Advisory Group / Belgrade Centre for Security Policy
- Jeroen van Wijngaarden, Member of Parliament and spokesman European Affairs for the VVD, vice-chairman of the parliamentary committee for Defence
- Angelina Eichhorst, European External Action Service
- Wouter Zweers, the Clingendael Institute
- Florian Bieber, University of Graz / Balkans in Europe Policy Advisory Group
- Moderation by Sophie Derkzen, Bureau Buitenland
Register for livestream
The event at Huys Clingendael is full. Please join via the livestream on YouTube. Fill in the form to receive an email alert before the livestream starts.
Would you like to join the event live at Clingendael? Please reserve a spot on the waiting list. If we receive a cancellation we will get in touch with you via email.
If you have registered but are unable to attend, please send an email to email@example.com in advance. Then we can welcome a new guest.