Registration for 2021 has opened. The 2020 edition is full and will take place from 17-20 November. If you would like to reserve a spot on the waiting list for the 2020 training please register here.
Wherever you are in the world. If you are operating in an international context, you probably encounter many situations in which you have to negotiate in order to solve complex issues. Whether you are working in the field of security, trade, energy, the environment, economics or politics, knowing how to be effective in negotiations is essential. Do you want to become a better negotiator? And do you negotiate in an international context?
Learn by doing in this highly interactive three-day seminar with many simulations, thorough debriefings, self-assessments and reflection sessions. Let us provide you with the tools to be able to negotiate successfully.
By the numbers
- has 30 years of experience in negotiation training
- provides 90 negotiation training sessions yearly
- has participants coming from over 60 countries and 5 continents
The Clingendael Institute has tremendous experience in providing negotiation training to diplomats, groups in conflict, and international relations professionals from all sectors worldwide. We have trained ambassadors, directors, managers, mediators, private sector professionals, civil servants, military officials, police officers, groups in conflict and many more.
Previous participants were working for the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Defence, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), CNV International, Wageningen University but also corporates such as Philips Technology.
Scroll down to read testimonials of previous participants.
Who can participate?
- Anyone who would like to improve their negotiation skills and tactics
- A good command of English
- Previous training is not required
What will you learn?
By the end of the SIN, you:
- Can describe the key principles underpinning a successful negotiation;
- Have improved your effectiveness in multilateral negotiations;
- Will know tips and tricks for negotiation;
- Can explain cultural differences and be aware of the basics of intercultural communication;
- Can create strategies for negotiation processes;
- Recognise bargaining tactics and know how to respond to them;
- Understand psychological processes in general and specific individual reactions to negotiation and mediation situations
Which methods will be used?
The Clingendael Academy holds a unique position worldwide in negotiations training as it offers a mix of process approach, behaviour analysis and emphasis on the international and political context. The methodology is based on the research of Clingendael's Processes of International Negotiation Programme and tried, tested and adjusted throughout years of practice.
- Interactive lectures
- Group assignments and discussions, including group reflection on lessons learned
- Bilateral negotiation simulations
- Multilateral negotiation simulations
- Intercultural communication discussions
- Individual negotiation profiles and self-assessment
Meet the trainer
Wilbur is Deputy Director at Clingendael Academy where he is responsible for international skills training and training on EU affairs. He is an expert in international negotiations, consensus building and conflict resolution. As a trainer he has worked with a large variety of groups such as senior military staff, diplomats, police officers, civil servants, humanitarians, armed groups, mediators, EU officials and private sector from many different countries. He worked for example with Syrian opposition groups in preparation of Geneva peace talks, has supported the peace process in the South of the Philippines with extensive capacity building projects, trained incoming members of the UN Security Council and prepared a number of countries for their turn in the EU Rotating Presidency.
What else you need to know
There is no need for pre-course study. Course materials consist of a handbook and hand-outs. The handbook will be circulated on the first day of the course; you will receive the hand-outs throughout the programme.
You can qualify for a 10% discount if 5 or more people from the same organisation apply.
If you have any questions get in touch with Tjeerd Ritmeester.
Would you prefer to have a tailor-made negotiation training for your organisation? Please submit our form.
Our General Terms and Conditions apply to this course
Excellent course, well developed and cases are good illustration of theory. Do not change anything.
You get an arsenal of strategies for negotiation. You learn to recognize when negotiations are stuck and what you can do about it to improve the outcome. You learn to prepare the negotiations and to keep all factors of importance in mind.