Wherever you are in the world. If you are operating in an international context, you probably encounter many situations in which you have to negotiate in order to solve complex issues. Whether you are working in the field of security, trade, energy, the environment, economics or politics, knowing how to be effective in negotiations is essential. Do you want to become a better negotiator? And do you negotiate in an international context?
Learn by doing in this highly interactive three-day seminar with many simulations, thorough debriefings, self-assessments and reflection sessions. Let us provide you with the tools to be able to negotiate successfully.
By the numbers
- has 30 years of experience in negotiation training
- provides 70 negotiation training sessions yearly
- has participants coming from over 60 countries and 5 continents.
The Clingendael Institute has tremendous experience in providing negotiation training to diplomats, groups in conflict, and international relations professionals from all sectors worldwide. Specifically, our trainers have trained ambassadors, directors, managers, mediators, private sector professionals, civil servants, military officials, police officers, groups in conflict and many more.
Previous participants were working for the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Defence, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), CNV International, Wageningen University but also corporates such as Philips Technology.
Who can participate?
- Anyone with a good command of English and an interest in enhancing his/her personal negotiation skills and tactics.
- Previous training is not required.
What will you learn?
By the end of the SIN, you:
- Can describe the key principles underpinning a successful negotiation;
- Have improved your effectiveness in multilateral negotiations;
- Will know tips and tricks for negotiation;
- Can explain cultural differences and be aware of the basics of intercultural communication;
- Can create strategies for negotiation processes;
- Recognise bargaining tactics and know how to respond to them;
- Understand psychological processes in general and specific individual reactions to negotiation and mediation situations.
Which methods will be used?
- Interactive lectures
- Group assignments and discussions, including group reflection on lessons learned
- Bilateral negotiation simulations
- Multilateral negotiation simulations
- Intercultural communication discussions
- Individual negotiation profiles and self-assessment.
The Clingendael Academy holds a unique position worldwide in negotiations training as it offers a mix of process approach, behaviour analysis and emphasis on the international and political context. The methodology is based on the research of Clingendael's Processes of International Negotiation Programme and tried, tested and adjusted throughout years of practice.
Meet the trainers
Christiaan is a highly experienced negotiation and EU affairs trainer, specializing in the processes and institutions of the European Union. He has worked extensively with and in Brussels, working as an analyst at MLex Market Intelligence, at the European Parliament and for political lobbying firm EPPA.
Max specializes in the work processes, dynamics and institutional capacities of the EU. Both at Clingendael and before, he has worked with the EU and in Brussels, focusing on inter-institutional relations, enlargement processes and the interplay between (local) governments and the EU institutions.
What else you need to know
There is no need for pre-course study. Course materials consist of a handbook and hand-outs. The handbook will be circulated on the first day of the course; you will receive the hand-outs throughout the programme.
You can qualify for a 10% discount if 5 or more people from the same organisation apply.
Three three-day seminars
We offer three three-day seminars. Choose your pick.
- 5-8 November 2020 (closed)
- 21-24 April 2020
- 17-20 November 2020
If you have any questions please contact Max Eleveld.
Our General Terms and Conditions apply to this course